The Book Junkie

Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy - Richelle Mead The movie is coming out and I have to admit, I am probably in the minority when it comes to people who haven't read this book. I see it over and over on other people's blogs so I finally picked up the first one and gave it a shot.

What I liked:
The characters were fun. Rose is gorgeous, unafraid, and always ready with a comeback. A true rebel who is always in trouble and for the most part, enjoys it. Lissa is elegant and loyal. She holds it together on the outside but is fearful and depressed on the inside. She knows what she is capable of and it wears on her, weakening her spirit every time she uses it. Rose would die for Lissa and her determination to keep her safe is admirable. Christian and Dimitri are the main men in the story and of course they are both hot.
I also really like the plot. Even though it is about vampires, it still has a uniqueness to it and I liked the originality of the Dhampir and the Strigoi and the guardians. I found it to be a quick read and read it in one day. There were just the right amount of action scenes and a few stolen romantic moments for the characters. Nothing was overdone. I was satisfied with the ending and glad that all of my hunches didn't pan out the way I expected them to.
What I didn't like:
I wouldn't say there was anything I didn't like. However, I am hesitant about going right into the rest of the series. It seems like one of those stories where the main romance has consistent obstacles thrown in its way. This gets frustrating to me after a while. I almost wish that the author had chosen to make the girls a little bit older, maybe college age instead of in high school so we could avoid some of the problems that were caused by their age.
So... that said, I may decide to read the second one this week and I may wait. I am glad however, that I finally picked it up to see what all the hype was about. Ladies (and guys)... I would love to hear your thoughts on whether I should continue. I'd also love to know what you thought of the movie. Happy reading everyone!

Spying in High Heels