The Book Junkie

A Share In Death

A Share In Death - Deborah Crombie This was a good book and I did enjoy it. It was a fairly familiar plot where the characters are all in a central location and seem to be picked off one by one until the detective figures out who the killer is. I found myself liking the main character of Duncan Kincaid but I didn't feel that the author spent much time describing him so I have a hard time picturing him in my mind and for me, I need to have that mental image to really connect with the story. I had a better picture of his assistant Gemma and she was not a huge part of this first book which was a bit disappointing because I went into the story thinking there would actually be a romance but apparently, the romance doesn't ignite until the third or fourth book. Not sure if I have the patience.
The plot was fun. The minor characters all had unique and interesting personalities and their roles in the story were meaningful. I loved the banter and sarcasm between Kincaid and the local constable. When the constable was finally put in his place by his own superior, I laughed out loud. I did have to backtrack in the story once or twice to remind myself who was who because there were so many characters. I probably should have written them down. There were several twists and turns in the story that kept me turning the pages and when I got to the end of the story, I finally understood the title... lol.
I was really looking for something like the Mary Russell Mysteries by Laurie R. King and this just wasn't what I wanted. I just loved the Russell series and haven't quite found anything similar that grabs me like it did. I guess I will have to be patient and wait for the next Mary Russell mystery, whenever that may come.
You will enjoy A Share in Death if you like a mystery and don't care about the lack of romance. I just wanted more.

Spying in High Heels